Monday, September 15, 2008

Can a lizard survive the washing machine?

Apparently so! I opened the door of our front loading washing machine to get out a load of towels, and this lovely little creature was sitting on the "seal" just inside the door. Apparently he found himself a spot where he wouldn't drown. I thought he was dead, but when I touched him with some tongs he moved! I got him onto a box and took him outside. I took the picture of him on the porch. Kenny said he's a glass lizard...I don't know about that, but he sure scared me and the kids! We don't know how he got in the house, but obviously I picked him up with the load of towels!

After a little research I identified my little friend. A "glass lizard" has no legs and therefore looks like a snake (though it really is a lizard), so that couldn't be it. I believe it is a "Southeastern Five-Lined Skink." Compare it to this picture.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

I don't CARE if he has legs or not. He is nasty and looks enough like a snack that I would have definitely hurt myself if he came crawling out of my washer - or anywhere else for that matter.

Tiffany said...

Oops - I said snack and I meant snake. See - I don't even like to type the word!!!

I absolutely would not consider him a good snack!!!

ArtistMom said...

I think he's still on the back porch if you're hungry :o)

Anonymous said...

but the lizard does have legs in the pic. so is it still a glass lizard?

Anonymous said...

Glass lizards can have small stub-like legs, but they don't use them, they're vestigial organs